We have noticed that you are using an older browser version

This portal is optimized for the following browser versions:

  • IE - 11
  • Edge 18 or greater
  • Firefox 69 or greater
  • Chrome 77 or greater
  • Safari 13 or greater
  • Opera 63 or greater

Note: We advise you to update to better enjoy navigation in the portal.

Skip to main content

Let us help you reach the information you're looking for. Tell us about yourself! Where are you living or where do you want to go?

If you didn't find what you are looking for, please report here.

Tens de seleccionar pelo menos uma opção

Need help? Please, click on this icon!

Below you can find some interesting information for your everyday life in Nea Smyrni:

    • Register as a Citizen
    • Health System
    • Transports and Mobility
    • Citizen Service Centres (KEP)
Register as a Citizen

The Residence/Registration Certificate has unlimited validity and is issued free of charge (according to European Union directive 2004/38/EC). A Residence Certificate is issued the day the application is made however, the procedure may take many hours or even a full day and the Certificate may sometimes prove difficult to obtain. Greek officials may not speak fluent English so taking a Greek speaker is advised. The following documents are required (with at least two copies of each):

  • Application form (available from the Aliens bureau)
  • Copy of passport or identity card
  • Four passport photos
  • Proof of medical insurance: European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), IKA, OAEE or private health insurance
  • Certificate from an employer if in paid employment, or proof of sufficient financial resources
  • For retirees, a certified translation of a letter from the pension provider stating the annual income
  • Proof of local residence (rental agreement, property ownership documents or statement of a person whose name is on the property deed if owned by someone else)

The Greek Police Aliens Bureau has more information on the documents required in order to apply for a Registration Certificate. To download an application form click here.

EU citizens residing in Greece for 90 days or longer and who do not register will be subject to a fine. However, it is very rare that this certificate is ever requested. Some Greek authorities are not aware of the European Union directive and do not know that this certificate exists. In many cases, the tax identification number (AFM) is used as proof of residency. After five years of continuous residence, or following marriage to a Greek national, a Permanent Residence Certificate can be applied for. This certificate is valid indefinitely. Law requires local nationals to carry an identity card at all times. The Residence Certificate is considered to be an adequate form of identification.

Health System

EU nationals intending to work in Greece must have medical insurance or a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and a social security number (AMKA). Apply for a social security number (AMKA number) at any Citizen Service Centres (KEP). There are two KEPs in Nea Smyrni.

Transports and Mobility


Public Transportation:

Moving around in Nea Smyrni can be done in several ways:

  • Using the Tram, crossing Nea Smyrni from the sea to the metro station. Information here
  • Using the busses, moving around both in the city and to other cities. Information here
  • Using the local Municipal busses, that are free and they can move you all around Nea Smyrni, within three different lines. Information here

For all the above you will need a valid ticket (except for the municipal busses that are free). Information about the tickets, the time duration, and the cost can be found here.


Driving licence:

A valid driving licence is required to drive in Greece. The licence must be carried on all car trips, and must be presented to law enforcement officials on demand. The minimum age to drive a car on the roads is 18 years.

Some foreigners in Greece must exchange their licence for a Greek one, some may make the exchange if they wish, while yet others may not exchange their licence and will need to take a full driving test (theory and practical) in order to get a Greek driving licence.

New arrivals to Greece may be able to exchange a foreign driver's licence for a Greek one, or (if relevant) continue driving on an EU-issued licence until it becomes necessary to renew it. For all others, a full theory and practical test must be taken. As of January 19 2013, EU-issued licences can only be renewed in the holder's country of residence. Renewing an EU-issued licence in Greece will effectively convert it into a Greek licence.


Driving Licences In Greece:

To obtain a Greek driver's licence for either a vehicle or motorbike, applicants must complete a certain amount of formal instruction, both theoretical and practical, as well as pass theoretical and practical written tests. Only qualified teachers can provide driving and theory lessons, so enrollment at a driving school is essential.

While lessons are available in English, the actual tests are in Greek. However, only a minimal knowledge of Greek is required to take the test.
If the applicant changes residence prior to the completion of the application process, all paperwork is transferred to the relevant issuing office.


Licence Categories And Age Restrictions:

The age restrictions for the most common types of licence in Greece are as follows:

  • AM (mopeds with a design speed of over 25 Km/h and under 45 Km/h): 16 years
  • A1 (motorcycles with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 125cc): 18 years
  • A2: (motorcycles not exceeding 35 kW): 20 years
  • B1 (four-wheeled light vehicles): 18 years
  • B (cars), 18 years
  • C1 (medium-sized vehicles) 18 years


Driving Licence Validity:

Greek driving licences for A- and B-class vehicles are valid for 15 years from their date of issue. C-class and D-class licences are valid for five years from their date of issue. From the age of 65 onwards, drivers with Greek-issued licences must undergo health checks in order for the driving licence to remain valid, and must renew their licence every two years. The test itself does not need to be retaken.

Citizen Service Centres (KEP)

There are over 1,000 Citizen Service Centres in Greece. These public service centres are one-stop-shops for a number of administrative formalities, including the following:

  • Register or transfer registration of a vehicle
  • Obtain a duplicate birth, marriage or death certificate
  • Apply for a permanent residence certificate (not available at all KEPs)
  • Apply for a driver's licence
  • Renew driving licence
  • Apply for a transport pass for people with disabilities
  • Power of attorneys or signed declarations
  • Apply for a social security number (AMKA number)

Centres are open from Monday to Friday, 8 AM – 8 PM and Saturday 08:00-14:00. Ermis.Gov has a list of local Citizen Service Centres (KEP)

  • Tel: 1500
  • The City of Athens website has comprehensive information on the services provided by Citizen Service Centres Ermis, the Greek Government site for information has a map of local Citizen Service Centres all over Greece

Citizens Helpline

There is also a Citizens Helpline, which can provide information on all the documents required for the procedures described above, as well as information on the municipal parking system, parking permits, local elections and anything related to services provided by the City of Athens.

  • Tel: 1595 (Monday to Sunday from 07:00-23:00)
  • More details on the Citizens Helpline can be found on the City of Athens website.


Did you notice a mistake in the existing content? Help us improve it by reporting the mistake and/or suggesting a correction. You didn't find the language you were looking for? Help us reach more people by translating the content yourself!

translation – übersetzung ; oversættelse - prijevod - traducción - traduzione ; vertaling – tłumaczenie - tradução – traducere – tõlge – μετάφραση – fordítás – tulkojums – vertimas – traduzzjoni – översättning – çeviri – käännös – превод – překlad – aistriúchán – prijevod – Iwwersetzung

Approach is a collaborative system.

Are you coming from a European country and  living in Nea Smyrni still several years?

Please share your experience !

Help new Nea Smyrni Citizen of you country by translating these pages into your native language and giving some tips.

How to proceed ? Ask for an account here.

Build your custom guide for

Select the introduction or any other information sections to add to your custom guide. Look for the printer icon at the top of the page to print or download your guide.

Select All | Deselect All | Invert Selection



Please select at least one box to print later!

Go Top